Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Sharpie tie-dye t-shirt craft

For quite some time I’ve seen Sharpie tie-dye projects all over the web and I’ve wanted to do it with Maisie.  Finally last Friday we had a morning off together so I gathered all the supplies and Maisie and I spent some time doing a craft.

IMG_0157eThe supplies consist of colored Sharpie markers, something like a t-shirt that you want to tie-dye, a piece of cardboard to place behind the work surface so it doesn’t bleed through to the back of the shirt, rubbing alcohol and an eye dropper or something to dispense the alcohol.

IMG_0160eUsing the markers, make designs with little dots of color.

IMG_0164eOnce you have all the designs you desire you’re ready for the magic.   Maisie’s shirt before we dripped the rubbing alcohol onto the designs.

IMG_0162eI made a shirt too. 

IMG_0166eUsing an eye dropper, into the center of each circle or design we dripped some rubbing alcohol and watched as the colors of the design spread.

IMG_0167eThe colors will spread as far as the alcohol goes out.  I couldn’t find any cardboard so I had a doubled over brown paper grocery bag in the shirt but next time I’ll make sure to have something flatter like the cardboard so that the designs flow a bit more evenly.  We also learned which colors we liked and how the different colors flowed and how dark or light they looked so next time we can plan our designs a bit more.  Still a very fun and colorful shirt.  

IMG_0169eI actually liked my shirt better before we let the colors flow but Maisie just thought this one was beautiful and asked if she could have it too.  So “my” shirt is now Maisie’s newest nightgown.   I hung the shirts to allow the alcohol to dry completely and then washed the shirts separately in cold water to set the design.

This was a cheap, fun and not messy project that we both really enjoyed and Maisie asked right away if we could do it again another day.  The t-shirts were on sale at Michael’s last week @ 2/$5 so I picked up a few more and the next time Maisie and I feel like doing a craft we’ll have all the supplies.

No new recipe tonight so I’m just going to tempt you with a delicious one from the past, Rum Cured Salmon Summer Rolls.  Click on the picture to see all the details and the recipe.IMG_8470

Please also check out some of my other recipes posted on Cook Lisa Cook including: Mango Lassi, Stir-Fried Asparagus with Water Chestnuts, Ginger & Cashews, Curried Roast Chicken Pieces with Spicy Sweet Potato & Carrots, Grilled Corn & Bacon Pudding, Oriental Chicken Salad, Potato Salad with Bacon, Coffee Crusted Steak, Home Style Chicken Curry, Watermelon FrostyMango Gazpacho, Toll House Double Stuff Oreo Brownies, Long Beans with Walnuts, Blacksmith Pizza, Rhubarb Crisp, Laksa, Math Book No Bake Cookies, Aloo Gobi, Mint Lassi, Red Curry Chicken, Lamb Curry, Grilled Corn, Avocado & Tomato Salad with Honey Lime Dressing, Baked Egg Cups Two Ways, Thai Peanut Salad, Holy Guacamole, Cantaloupe Agua Fresca, Wallaby Darned, Piggy-Out Cookies, Wicked Good New England Lobster Roll, Long Beans with Garlic, Super Simple Summer Shrimp Salsa Salad, Grandma’s Teriyaki Steak, Watermelon Tomato Gazpacho, Red Chinese Long Beans with Peppers & Red Curry, 24-Layer Crêpe Cake Fig & Watermelon Salad, Grilled Chèvre & Fig Panini, Spicy Asian Cucumber Salad, Grilled Prawns, Spicy Brown Sugar Bacon, Kicked Up Piggy-Out Cookies, Pesto Pita Pizza, Cilantro Lime Chicken, Nutella Crêpes, Mango, Lime & Chile Spiced Ice Box Pie, Roast Beef & Garlic Herb Cheese Sandwich and Layered Crespelle with Bolognese, Fresh Mozzarella & Basil.

Enjoy!

25 comments:

  1. That is awesome. Thanks for sharing it. We are going to have to try it on our next time off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great craft idea. We'll definitely try that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! (I actually liked your design before the alcohol too, but it was fun and sun-bursty after.)

    I'm afraid this project would probably not work for Linlee. She would have fun coloring a shirt, although there is very little chance she would stick to just dots. And making the colors bleed would probably ruin it for her. I don't think she would appreciate that. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun project, we will have to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great project!! I'm going to pin it on the girls' board. We're doing another project from their board this afternoon - glow in the dark slime. Heaven help me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds so fun! I think they turned out super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Love it! i am using this as a back to school project...we homeschool and this would be a great art and science project. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, have fun with the project.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous6:21 PM

    Did you prewash the shirts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not pre-wash the shirts. Also they were cheap ones from the dollar store and worked wonderfully.

      Delete
  9. WOW!This is really good tie dye color and design.I also like to wear this thank you for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We did these same shirts a couple weeks ago but once I washed them, most of the alcohol washed away, especially all the green sharpie that turned yellow. I waited a few days before washing. Did yours wash away or fade?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have washed Maisie's dozens of times and it is starting to fade a little but all of the colors have really held true. Did you use real Sharpie brand Sharpies? Also the shirt needs to dry completely with the alcohol before washing. Also was your shirt new or previously washed? I'm just thinking that if it was new it may have had a fabric finish on it that didn't allow the ink to properly adhere.

      Delete
    2. I was wondering if this would work for thicker material

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing- we are going to make these at my daughters 11 yr old bday party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. saw this on another site and they recommend after the drawing part to stretch the shirt out over a baking pan and clipping with clothes pins to keep tight and level, that helps with the "bleed"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, what a great suggestion.

      Delete
  13. did you wash with laundry detergent, or just with cold water?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did you wash the shirts with laundry detergent, or just with cold water? Also, did you wash each shirt individually on the first wash? Do you wash the shirts separately now? I ask because I'm thinking of using this idea of the summer camp I run, but we would be making dozens of shirts, and if they have to all be washed separately, then that won't work for our resources.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I washed the shirts together but they were the only items in the washer, no other clothing.

      Delete
  15. did you wash with laundry detergent, or just with cold water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a small amount of laundry soap.

      Delete
  16. Anonymous8:23 AM

    Love it! I did it with my daughter and she loved it to!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous3:02 AM

    What is the trick with Sharpies? Can I use other permanent markers? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous11:44 AM

    Lisa, I love this craft! Do you mind if I use the picture of your finished t-shirt on the flyer for my event? Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails